For most people, starting a new job ranks right up there as a major life event. After all, it’s a big change in your daily routine! You’ll have to get used to a new route into the office, new surroundings, new coworkers, a brand new role with different responsibilities… it may seem as if there’s no end of things to stress over!
Five Ways to Handle New-Job Jitters
Being the new kid is never easy, but you can take steps to make it less stressful for yourself. Follow these tips from one of the top Temp Agencies in Atlanta GA to help you ease your way into your new work life:
- Remember: it’s only temporary. You’re only going to be new for a short time… until another new person starts! Just remind yourself it’s not forever, and you’ll settle in and get to know the job and your new coworkers in no time flat. Someday soon, the words, “Remember when?” will drift through your mind as you think back to your very first days at work.
- Try to be yourself. Eventually, the real you will come out, so don’t try too hard to be someone you aren’t in order to fit in. Of course, you want to be on your best behavior when meeting new people, but try to let the beauty that is you shine through—you’re unique and interesting, just the way you are. It can be stressful trying to be something you’re not.
- Perfect your small talk. It can be awkward if you’re not used to it, but the best way to get to know your new coworkers is by asking them about themselves and trying to find common ground. Small talk—what did you do this weekend, what’s your favorite sports team, what shows are you bingeing on Netflix, etc.—will make it much easier to get the conversation started and start to make new friends. However, don’t put pressure on yourself to be besties with everyone right away. Good friendships take time to build.
- Take notes. Don’t expect yourself to remember all the new information you’ll be learning! Bring a notepad and pen, or laptop, and take notes as you learn. Then, you can refer back to what you’ve written as a reference, and quiz yourself to help you learn your new role.
- Just breathe. Don’t put unnecessary pressure on yourself. It’s going to be stressful and maybe a little uncomfortable at first when you start something new. If you go in with this understanding, it can be much easier to roll with your new situation. Just keep a positive outlook and rest assured that everything will be OK!
Take Care of Yourself Outside of Work
You can make your worklife a lot easier when you take good care of yourself at home. Get plenty of sleep every night and stay active through regular exercise. Eat well and stay hydrated. Yoga and meditation are also practices that can benefit your entire outlook and help ease your daily anxiety.
Maybe you don’t currently have a new job, but you’d love one! If that’s the case, contact Happy Faces Personnel Group. We work with candidates for job placements in the Atlanta Metropolitan Area. To learn more, contact us today!