It’s hard to stay positive these days. There’s plenty going on that can be upsetting. But positive thinking is one clear path towards happiness—so your efforts are worth it to curb those negative thoughts. This may sound much easier said than done, though. So what can you do to overcome negative thinking and be more positive overall?
Five Ways to Stop Negative Thinking in its Tracks
Each of us struggles in different ways, and looking on the bright side of life can seem difficult. But the good news is that it just takes practice. You can cheer yourself up and improve your mood with the following strategies to blast those negative thoughts:
- Drop expectations. An easy way to feel negative is when you have a clear idea of how you want a situation to go. This could include your workday, a holiday with family, or even a trip to the grocery store. But when you relax and just roll with it, you may find yourself enjoying the time a little more—simply for what it is, rather than what you expected it to be.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. This is a game that never works. And unfortunately, our world makes it easy to compare yourself when you visit social media and see who took a fabulous vacation or who got promoted. But remember that everyone’s journey is different and nothing is perfect. Instead of focusing on others, turn your focus back to yourself. Think about the things in your life that are good and allow yourself to feel thankful. Compare yourself only to yourself, and notice how you’ve grown, learned, laughed and gotten wiser.
- Practice mindfulness and meditation. When daily challenges present themselves, it can be frustrating and stressful, and this makes it easier to feel negative. Taking time for mindfulness and stress relief is an important practice in a happy life. Simply give yourself a few minutes to close your eyes, listen to the sounds around you and focus on your breath. It can help to use a meditation app to help you slow down and relax.
- Laugh more. Adding joy and laughter into your life makes it naturally easier to be positive. Spend time with positive people, watch a funny movie or stand-up comedian, and look on the lighter side of things. Try to find humor in every situation and let yourself look at the lighter side of things. Laughter is good medicine!
- Be more accepting of viewpoints that aren’t your own. Everyone is just a little different, and it’s our differences that make us special. Understand that not everyone is going to agree with you, and that’s OK. It can be incredibly stressful to internalize conflicting opinions and wonder why and how, over and over again. So let it go—live and let live. You are the only person you can change, so work on being the very best version of you.
What if Your Job is Making You Feel Negative?
Remember it’s always OK to embrace change! Sometimes by just changing one thing, like your job, everything else can fall into place.
And if you’re in search of a new job in the Atlanta area, check out Happy Faces Personnel Group. We’re looking for you!