You spend a large portion of your waking hours at work. So when you’re new to the job, getting to know your coworkers is key! It will help make your workday more enjoyable when you can pal around with your fellow employees. Plus, it can help you learn more about your job and the company when you feel more comfortable talking to those around you.
Five Easy Ways to Meet Your Coworkers
You can do it on your own or with an introduction. But however you do it, get out there and meet the people in your work “neighborhood”!
- Ask your boss for an introduction. It’s hard being the new kid! If you’re not super outgoing, just ask your boss to introduce you to the team. This can help break the ice and get you chatting with your new coworkers.
- Make small talk. There’s definitely an art to small talk. It involves asking people about themselves—how was their weekend, have they been watching [insert show name] on Netflix, did they see the team score that goal… etc. Look for things you have in common!
- Show your interest. Being a good listener is a perfect way to get to know people. Let your new friends tell you about themselves an ask questions to learn more, then share stories of your own that relate to common interests.
- Attend team events. Coffee breaks, luncheons, happy hours and team dinners are a good way to catch up outside the office. By all means, if the team is planning an outing, go along! However, as a new employee, you may not be invited to things at first, and every office culture is different. You can always ask your boss to get something on the calendar to help you get to know your new team. Or you can invite a coworker out for coffee, lunch or drinks if you’re feeling up to it.
- Stay positive. Negativity won’t attract many new friends. As you get to know people, avoid gossip and keep your attitude positive. You don’t have to be an over-the-top cheerleader, but try to look on the bright side of things as you get to know people.
Take it Day by Day
It can be hard easing your way into an organization. Some will welcome you with open arms, while others may take a little bit to warm up to you. Either way, don’t give up! Be the best you that you can be and you’ll be destined to win new friends at your new job.
In Search of Something New?
Maybe you’re in need of a new job… and if that’s the case, check out Happy Faces Personnel Group. We place qualified candidates with work in the Atlanta Metropolitan Area. To learn more, contact us today!