All work and no play is not a good life philosophy. Now more than ever before, it’s important to add a little joy to your day—every day! Though it may seem indulgent, doing something you enjoy every single day is important to your mental health. And when you consider that mental health is also a part of your overall well-being, you can start to see why being joyful is a good thing to do!
What is a “joy break”?
Quite simply, a “joy break” is a break where you spend time doing something you enjoy. It could be during your lunch break, first thing in the morning before you start work, or when you need a few minutes to decompress and step away from your workstation. But whenever you choose to take a joy break, it’s important for your well-being to do it every day. And to choose something that makes you happy.
How to spend a joy break
For some, it might be easy to choose how to spend your break. But for others, you may wonder what is a good choice for the ultimate joy while you’re away from your desk.
Any of the following are good choices for how to spend your joy break:
- Take a walk outside. Breathe in the air and take in the sights and sounds of everything around you. If you can get to a park, walking trail, or green space—even better. Watch the breeze in the trees, the animals scurrying about their day or the clouds in the sky. Nature can help you relax and reduce your stress, too!
- Watch something funny. Find a clip of a comedian on YouTube or watch a few favorite scenes of a funny movie. Chuckling for a few moments can lift your spirits.
- Spend time with someone you love. This could be a child, parent, family member, friend or pet. Taking a few moments to chat, catch up, have a meal, or go for a walk is a great stress reliever.
- Get artsy. Exercising your “art muscles” and creating something can be a great source of joy. Paint, draw, sculpt, knit, woodwork, craft, or create! Arts and crafts are great for your focus and concentration, plus can provide a sense of accomplishment.
- Do something you loved as a kid. Little kids are naturals at finding joy. When you were little, what did you love to do? Find a way to do that as an adult!
However you choose to spend your joy break, be sure to choose something that makes you happy. This happiness will spread into other aspects of your life, to boost your spirts and add to your overall good health.
What about a new job?
If your job is robbing you of your joy, what about finding something new? Let Happy Faces Personnel Group help. To learn more, contact us today!